Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Is There a Story Stopping You?

Are there times when you find yourself working really hard yet you’re not getting the results you want? And, you think the more you do will make the difference—yet it doesn’t. It may have very little to do with how hard you’re working and more to do with the story you make up about yourself that keeps you from moving forward.

I remember attending one of my Mastermind Group meetings several years ago. We dug deep within ourselves and identified the story we had about ourselves that kept us stuck.

We went back into the past and identified the event that had happened that impacted our thoughts and feelings about ourselves. This event became our story. We held onto these stories for so long, we believed they were true. These stories had been holding us back for years.

As I listened to the others share their stories, I could see how much alike we all are. We allow something that happened a long time ago to keep us from growing and reaching our full potential. I realized it was time for me to share a story I’d been holding onto way too long.

When I shared my story with the group, the response I heard blew me away. No one cared! I used my story as an excuse to avoid taking big risks. I finally realized how absurd this was.

I had been carrying this story around with me all these years, using it as an excuse not to step out of my comfort zone and stay just where I was. I had lived with this story for so long, I believed it was true.

I finally got it! I made the story up, it’s not true and it doesn’t mean anything. I am who I say I am. I am not my story and I can do anything I say I can do. So, I put my story back in the past.

And, when I did this, I became freed up. It was as if a huge weight had been lifted off of me. I then made the decision to create a bigger game for myself in my business, and that lead to my first live event in 2009 (and that actually happens next week…WoooHooo)!

I share this with you because whatever story you have that may be stopping you, you can disappear.

I invite you to notice that successful people are always in action doing something to grow their businesses and enrich their lives. They have their stories and their fears, yet they do not allow any story or circumstance to stop them from pursuing their dreams and goals. They identify their stories and may even feel some fear. Yet, they hold onto their visions and move into action.

They’re willing to step outside their comfort zones and try new things. They’re no different than you or I. The only difference is they believe they can, are willing to take risks, and have the courage to move through their fear to go after what they want.

Ask yourself, is there a story I have about myself that has been around so long I believe it to be true? What is the story? If there is a story, why do I keep holding on to a story that is disempowering me? What’s possible for me if I didn’t have this story? What could I create in my life? As you answer those questions for yourself, you’ll begin to be freed up to pursue your dreams.

You’ve probably been carrying your story around far too long. Isn’t it time to put that story back in the past where it belongs and set yourself free to pursue what’s important to you?

© 2009. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission from Rochelle Togo-Figa, Professional Sales Coach, is prohibited.

If you would like to use this article on your website, or for your own ezine, not a problem; however, there’s one thing you MUST include: Rochelle Togo-Figa, The Sales Breakthrough Expert, is the creator of the Sales Breakthrough System™, a proven step-by-step sales process that will help you close more sales, sign on more clients and make more money with ease and velocity. To sign up for her free sales articles and teleclasses on closing more sales, visit
www.SalesBreakthroughs.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment